Saturday 4 October 2008

Eric Wallis Dressing in White painting

Eric Wallis Dressing in White paintingRaphael Madonna and Child with Book paintingWassily Kandinsky Color Study of Squares painting
justify it, as I found him in his big travelling coat, filling the window that looked over the river. ‘Well,’ I said. ‘Well.’
‘I came this morning. They told me where you usually lunched but I couldn’t see you there. Have you got him?’
I did not need to ask whom. ‘So he’s given you the slip, too?’ ‘We got here last night and were going on to Zurich today. I left him at the Lotti after dinner, as he said he was tired, and went round to the Travellers’ for a game.’
I noticed how, even with me, he was making excuses, as though rehearsing his story for retelling elsewhere. ‘As he said he was tired’ was good. I could not well imagine Rex letting a half-tipsy boy interfere with his cards.
‘So you came back and found him gone?’
‘Not at all. I wish I had. I found him sitting up for me. I had a run of luck

No comments: