Wednesday 15 October 2008

Lord Frederick Leighton Solitude painting

Lord Frederick Leighton Solitude painting
Lord Frederick Leighton Return of Persephone painting
same old Cato who, whenever he was asked his opinion in the Senate on any matter whatever, would end his speech with:"This is my opinion; and my further opinion is that Carthage should be destroyed: she is a menace to Rome," By harping incessantly on the menace of Carthage he brought about such popular nervousness that, as I have said, the Romans eventually violated their most solemn commitments and razed Carthage to the ground.
I have written about old Cato more than I intended, but it is to the point: he is bound up in my mind both with the ruin of Rome, for which he was just as responsible as the men whose "unmanly luxury," he said, "enervated the State," and with the memory of my unhappy childhood under that muleteer, his great-great-great-grandson. I am already an old man and my tutor has been dead these fifty years, yet my heart still swells with indignation and hatred when I think of him.

No comments: